This Eggplant Tomato Bake is very little work for how delicious it is! It’s almost reminds me of traditional ratatouille. However here, I only used eggplant which I ‘stuffed’ with tomato slices. I excluded zucchini here but this of course can be added. Within the tomato sauce, I added in onions, peppers and mushrooms to add flavour. Most importantly, my Za’atar seasoning was a major element here! I sprinkled some within each eggplant slice and over the entire vegetable. It added a nutty sesame flavour which was really nice. Let me know what you think of the Za’atar addition!
You can either eat this eggplant tomato bake as a full meal, or as a side dish. If you are serving this as a side dish as opposed to an entire meal, the same quantity would serve four people as opposed to two.
Eggplant Tomato Bake
- 2 eggplants
- 1 tomato
- ½ cup grated cheese (60 g) mozzarella or Parmesan
- 2 tbsp Za'atar seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms (75 g)
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200 c).
- For the sauce, finely chop the onion, pepper, garlic, mushrooms, and basil.
- Fry the garlic, onions and peppers to soften (around 7 minutes). Add the mushrooms and basil leaves. Pour the sauce into a baking dish.
- Cut the eggplant width-ways without cutting all the way through. Slice the tomato into rings.
- Place the eggplants into the baking dish.
- Brush a little olive oil into each eggplant slice, sprinkle a little Za'atar and add a slice of tomato. Drizzle a little olive oil on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add the grated cheese and remainder Za'atar. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or more until the eggplant is tender. Garnish with mint leaves or basil leaves (can be dried).
Recommended for this Recipe:
Za’atar Seasoning – a fragrant and extremely versatile seasoning blend. Made from a combination of oregano, thyme, sumac, roasted sesame seeds and salt.
* If you live in Paphos or Limassol, Cyprus and don’t want to pay the delivery, we can arrange to meet and drop your order to you somewhere!
Other recipes to try:
Did you make this recipe? Tag @pinkpeppercorncyprus on Instagram and hashtag it #pinkpeppercorncatering