These Mexican Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes are ridiculously good for how straight forward they are to make. You can edit the recipe as you wish and if you are vegetarian or vegan, skip the chicken and sub for quinoa! Same with the sour cream and cheese, either emit or sub for a vegan alternative.
They are healthy (only 500 Kcal including all the toppings and even the sour cream). If you’re not a fan of sweet potato as I find that people either love them or hate them, then sub for normal potatoes.
Personally, I love the combination of the sweetness from the sweet potatoes with the spicy tangy Mexican flavours. Yum! Thank God I made enough for leftovers today I tell you.
Happy cooking and don’t forget to tag us (@pinkpeppercorncyprus for Instagram and @pinkcateringcyprus for Facebook) to let me know you tried the recipe. Send photos xxx
As is (it’s super filling) or with a small salad as we did just to get in our greens and extra freshness!
Mexican Chicken Baked Sweet Potato
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 red onion
- 1 pepper (any colour)
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp sour cream (sub Greek yoghurt and a lemon squeeze if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp grated cheese
- 1 can red kidney beans
- ½ can sweet corn
- 1 can crushed tomato
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder (or as desired)
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Scrub the sweet potatoes, dry, and prick them with a fork. Wrap them in foil and bake for 45 mins - 1 hour. If short on time, microwave either partially or fully.
- Boil the chicken breast in an inch of water until cooked.
- Meanwhile, chop lettuce, red cabbage, red onion, tomato, and cucumber (or as you desire) and squeeze a little lemon on. Keep cold in the fridge.
- Chop a red onion and pepper. Fry with a little oil, salt, and pepper. Remove from pan.
- Once the chicken is cooked, use two forks to shred.
- Finely chop garlic and white onion. In the same pan, fry in a little oil until soft. Add the crushed tomato, paprika, cumin, and chili. Add the chicken, red kidney beans, and corn. Cook until you are happy with the taste!
- Remove sweet potatoes from foil, cut down the middle and fluff with a fork. Add the onions and peppers, top with the chicken mixture, sour cream, and grated cheese. Add the veggies (or serve on the side).
Other recipes to try:
Did you make this recipe? Tag @pinkpeppercorncyprus on Instagram and hashtag it #pinkpeppercorncatering