Sumac Baked Chips have recently gone to the top five dishes to make with my beloved sumac spice. It adds a lemon-y, almost tangy flavour to the simple chip. Not to mention look at the colour!
These chips photographed were served with my own variation on a red cocktail sauce. But of course, you can serve them with whatever you like! The green tahini dip I made with the roasted carrots would work well, or even the garlic yoghurt dip. Go wild!
Don’t forget that sumac spice is available in our shop (brought over from Lebanon and incredibly delicious!).
One note – I par-boiled my chips first to cut down on the baking time. However, this isn’t completely necessary. Just remember that if you don’t, the chips will take longer in the oven and you’ll need to put the temperature down so that they cook all the way through before going brown and crispy!
A perfect cheat day side! Or a weekend treat to serve alongside some other nibbles. Yes they’re not the healthiest, but by baking them in the oven instead of frying them in oil, does cut down on the amount of calories. P.S. the nutrition labels includes a quarter of the dipping sauce per serving!
Sumac Baked Chips
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sumac (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
For the Red Cocktail Sauce with a Twist Dipping Sauce:
- ⅓ cup ketchup (80 ml)
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200 c).
- Peel the potatoes and slice into 'chips'. Bring a pot of water to boil and add the potatoes. Par-boil for 5 minutes or so.
- Drain the potatoes and let them dry out a little. In a bowl add the potatoes, olive oil, sumac and salt and pepper. Mix and lay them out on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (flip halfway) or until golden brown and crispy.
- In the meantime, make the dip by combining all dip ingredients together in a small bowl and mixing.
- Plate and garnish with coriander (or alternative herb) and enjoy!
Other recipes to try:
Did you make this recipe? Tag @pinkpeppercorncyprus on Instagram and hashtag it #pinkpeppercorncatering