These Zucchini Halloumi Fritters are healthy, vegetarian, perfect for summer (finally we have some sunshine!), and you can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Talk about versatile! You can serve them as an appetizer at a dinner party with a small leafy salad, or even eat them cold. It really is up to you! As you can see here, my personal favourite is to stack ’em, dollup ’em with my Garlic Yoghurt Dip, and inhale them!
Preparing the Zucchini Halloumi Fritters:
Obviously the main ingredient here is the zucchini. The most important part about using the zucchini is that once you have grated them, drain them of as much water as you possibly can. Even after I let them drain for 30 minutes, I was still having to squeeze out additional liquid from the mixture before frying them. There are different ways of doing it – you can let them drip through a sieve, laying them out on kitchen roll, it’s up to you what works best.
The Cypriot specialty! Otherwise known as ‘squeeky cheese’ – try a bite and you’ll know why! It would be a crime not to make the most of every ounce of halloumi we have available on this beautiful island! On a side note, if you haven’t already included fried slices of halloumi cheese in your English Breakfast…do it now. Back to the point, the reason why I use halloumi for these fritters, isn’t because I could live on it, but because halloumi is one of the few cheese that don’t immediately melt with heat. Perfect for keeping the fritters together.
As I said, these can be eaten in a whole range of ways. For breakfast can be made larger and served with a runny fried egg on top; for lunch with a salad; for a light dinner they can be served as a side to grilled chicken and rice.
Zucchini Halloumi Fritters
- 3 zucchinis
- 200g halloumi cheese
- 150g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- t tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tbsp green onion for garnish
- Grate the zucchinis and let them drain for 30 minutes. Do this by either laying them out on kitchen roll and pressing the water out or by straining them.
- Once you have squeezed out as much water as possible, put the zucchini in a bowl. Grate the halloumi cheese and put in the bowl.
- Add the flour, eggs, baking powder and all of the spices. Mix together well.
- Spoon the mixture onto the frying pan in small balls. Press down to make flat.
- Fry for 5 minutes or so on each side, or until golden brown. Add a dollop of garlic yoghurt and a sprinkle of finely chopped green onion and enjoy!
Other recipes to try:
Did you make this recipe? Tag @pinkpeppercorncyprus on Instagram and hashtag it #pinkpeppercorncatering